Saturday, April 14, 2012

Samoa Cake Recipe

On Easter, I roped my Dad into helping me make what may be the best cake ever- Samoa Bundt Cake. I found the recipe on, you guessed it, Pinterest, and it did not disappoint. Seriously, this cake was incredible, like, I'd order it at a restaurant. It's a buttery, chocolate-y cake with salted caramel frosting, topped with toasted coconut and drizzled in chocolate. There's nothing I love more than caramel. Don't be afraid of the coconut, it isn't overpowering. It's pretty involved, you have to make two separate cake batters and then swirl them together in a bunt pan. My cake didn't come cleanly out of the bunt pan, half of it came out and half didn't so we had to piece it together and frost it and pretend it was fine. Good thing the frosting has toasted coconut in it-it hides mistakes well!


You can find the recipe here.

I made one slight modification due to lack of time. Instead of using a can of sweetened condensed milk, cooked in a crockpot all day for the caramel in the frosting, I just picked up a jar of salted caramel sauce from Trader Joe's and used that. My frosting turned out a tad salty because I still followed the rest of the recipe. If you decide to short-cut the caramel, I would recommend cutting back on the salt in the frosting. Other than that...you've got to try this one!
 Happy weekend! It's raining here--love it.

No comments: